Business Development Workshops
Let’s Do Lunch — Business Development Your Way
How many potential clients have you taken to lunch – and never gotten around to talking about business? Have you tried and rejected the “hard sell” business development model because you just can’t see yourself that way?
Sustainable business development happens when you can be genuine and authentic – while stepping out of your comfort zone a little.
We teach a realistic approach to business development for busy lawyers. In this practical session, you’ll learn what you can do now for more effective, targeted business development that flows from your natural style. Using the example of a business lunch, find out what works and “what not to do” to get business.
- Making the switch: shifting the conversation to business
- Two crucial skills that make all the difference
- Choosing the right targets
- How to ask for the business
- Staying in touch without being annoying
- Fitting business development into your life
This workshop can be conducted with small or large groups, for partners or associates or both. We also do a women-only program.
Over lunch, naturally!
Raising Your Profile to Get Business
This interactive workshop looks at how lawyers can successfully use public speaking, writing and media interviews to get new business. This overview of business development through profile raising explores in depth how the three activities can act as a catalyst to raise a lawyer’s profile to become the “go to” lawyer for a particular business issue or specialty.
We use case studies, demonstrations, checklists and interactive exercises to understand how profile raising works most effectively and to brainstorm ideas for participants. (optional) Each participant will leave with a plan to start raising her/his profile.
After this workshop, participants will know how to:
- Choose a topic/issue that is newsworthy and will attract business
- Understand and choose their best audiences for developing business
- Identify the best publications, events, and conferences to get in front of their target audiences
- Get their audience to come up to meet them after their speeches
- Create handouts audiences will keep (and why that matters)
- Get the most mileage out of articles and media interviews
- Create valuable media relationships
- Avoid typical lawyer mistakes in speeches, interviews and articles
- Understand the writing style best used for articles and white papers
Team Presenting – How to Win RFPs and Pitches
This workshop focuses on what makes a presentation (or pitch) team “look” like a team and how to wow the audience (or decision makers) from the start. During the workshop we explore how to develop metaphors and illustrative stories that will drive home the most important points in a team’s presentation or proposal — for example — the team’s experience with similar legal work.
Participants will engage in interactive exercises using realistic scenarios appropriate to the level of the lawyers participating. Checklists for messaging and “looking like a team” are provided. (optional) Can be done with actual presentation teams or “future” teams.
After this workshop, participants will understand how to:
- Look and sound like a team
- Explain complex issues in a concise and compelling way
- Stay on message
- Manage the time with multiple speakers
- Handle tough questions and score points at the same time
- Leave the decision makers with a clear, positive message
- Start and end the presentation with power